Learn about the exciting world of Percussion Instruments!
This easy open and go lesson is perfect for classrooms or home-school. No previous musical experience is necessary to facilitate these lessons.
All lessons are suitable for ages 4-12 years old and can be worked on together as a group or family. Accompanying the teaching time is the choice between two activities; one for young learners ages 4-8 years old and one for older learners ages 8-12 years old.
Included in each 30 minute lesson is a "Setting The Stage" section which introduces the children to what they are about to learn followed by a more informative teaching time called "Diving Deeper", and followed by a hands on "Activity Time."
Each lesson has book suggestions as well as listening suggestions that correspond with the theme of the lesson!
Within each lesson you will find the option of using a link or a QR code that links you directly to a short video or live performance featuring music by different composers and artists.
Each lesson gives you a list of materials needed at the beginning of the lesson which usually includes many household items that a classroom or house would already have.
One important note is that the use of a music platform such as Apple music, Spotify or YouTube is a must when facilitating these musical lessons!
Included in this lesson:
- An opening experiment about sound vibrations using a ruler and a table! Who knew sound vibrations had such different wave lengths!
- An informative section on the different percussion instruments including the difference between 'Pitched' and 'Unpitched' instruments.
- A fascinating video featuring Claudio Santangelo perform 'The Flight of the Bumblebee' on the Marimba.
- A demonstration video of the Royal Marines playing 'Unpitched' instruments.
- Young learners will gather to make their own Maracas using dry goods, yogurt containers and some tape! Have students then try shaking to the beat of a song.
- Older learners will get to create their own set of bells by filling up glass bottles with varying levels of water (and dye!).
- An extra challenge that explores the astonishing group 'STOMP', a percussion group that uses the body and ordinary objects to create a physical theater performance using rhythms, acrobatics and pantomime.
- Listening Suggestions - "The Minute Waltz", "Concerto for Piano & Percussion", "Koda" and "Clapping Music."
- Book Suggestions - "The Little Drummer Boy", "Drum Dream Girl", "Drum City", and "Tanka Tanka Skunk".
My hope and desire with 'PRELUDE; an Introduction to Music for Children' is that through the stories, the activities, the music and the videos, children would be drawn into the fascinating world of music.
About digital lessons:
This digital lesson will help you, the teacher or parent, open up the world of music for your children with a profound sense of wonder and curiosity.
The digital PDF lesson is easy to use with simple instructions, a clear list of materials often found in your home to use in lessons, and reproducible resources to be printed directly from your screen.
You will be able to click links right from the file or use your phone’s camera to click on the QR codes and be linked directly to some inspiring performances. This copy can also be printed on your own home printer.
Digital files are uneditable and are delivered via email upon purchase. Digital products are final sale and are not eligible for return. See refund policy here.
Purchase the full digital version of 'PRELUDE' here.
Browse additional individual lessons from 'PRELUDE' here.